1. Preheat 300 degrees. Sift c. sugar into a bowl.
Whisk in almonds; set aside. Line 2 baking sheets
with parchment and mark circles using 1 1/2-in
cutter dipped in flour.
2. Put egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer
fitted with the whisk attachment, Beat on med.
until foamy, then beat in salt. Beat in g. sugar,
1 tsp at a time, until med-soft peaks form.
Transfer mixture to a lrg bowl.
3. Using rubber spatula, fold half the almond
mixture into the egg white mixture until just
incorporated. Firmly tap bottom of bowl on counter
to eliminate air pockets.
4. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a
1/2-in plain tip. Pipe mixture into marked circles
. Bake rotating sheets halfway through, until
macaroons are slightly firm and can be gently
lifted off parchment, 20 to 25 min. Let cool on
sheets 5 min. Transfer macaroons on parchment to a
wire rack, let cool completely.
5. Spread 2 tsp buttercream on flat side of half the
macaroons, then sandwich together with remaining
halves, keeping flat sides together. Refrig until
firm, about 20 min. before serving