1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon coconut rum
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 tablespoons toasted coconut
1 1/2 cup pineapple, diced small
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl sift together the flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside.In a large bowl combine the sugar, brown rice syrup, oil and butter. Beat on medium high for 3-4 minutes. In a small bowl whisk together the milk, coconut rum and coconut extract.
3. With the mixer on low, add the flour and milk mixture in four alternating additions, starting and ending with the flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Using a clean dry bowl and beaters, beat the egg whites on high until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Divide the batter between the two pans and smooth out towards the edges.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool completely for about an hour before assembling and frosting.
6. Make the pineapple curd- In a small saucepan heat the egg yolks, pineapple juice, 1/4 cup turbinado sugar and cornstarch over medium-low heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes, whisking constantly until the thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
7. Make the frosting- In a medium bowl beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, coconut rum and coconut extract until fluffy.
8- Assemble the cake- Place one layer of the cake top side down on a plate or cake stand. Spread the pineapple curd evenly over the top leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the fresh pineapple over the top of the curd. Place the second cake layer top side up on the curd- pineapple layer. Coat the top and sides of the cake with frosting. Pile the remaining 1 cup of fresh pineapple on the top of the cake and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
0 Out of 5 from
You can add this Pineapple Coconut Layer Cake recipe to your own private DesktopCookbook.