1 & 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa - red, black or natural
1 & 1/2 to 2 teaspoons table salt, divided (See note)
1 carton del Carmen black beans, thawed and drained (see note)
1 & 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (2 large ears)
1 cup finely chopped red, yellow, orange or green sweet bell peppers
1 medium jalapeno chile, seeded and minced fine (optional)
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, divided plus a few sprigs for garnish (see note)
1/4 cup chopped green onion
5 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced fine
1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste (optional, see note)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place quinoa in a find mesh strainer and rinse
under cool water for several minutes to remove the
bitter coating from the grain.
- Use your hand or a spoon to move the grains around
as you wash it.
- In a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid,
bring 1 & 1/2 quarts of cold water to boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the quinoa to the
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook quinoa, 10
to 15 minutes until the quinoa pops open, revealing
the germ, which looks like a thin circle with a
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 or 2
- Lightly fluff grains with a fork to separate.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine black beans, corn
kernels, sweet, and jalapeno peppers, 1/4 cup
parsley and green onions. Salt to taste. Toss to
- In a small, deep bowl whisk lime juice, minced
garlic, cumin, remaining chopped parsley, and pepper
- Add the olive oil slowly, in a steady stream,
whisking constantly until the mixture emulsifies.
- Add quinoa to the mixing bowl with the vegetables.
- Pour dressing over the cooked quinoa.
- Lift and turn the quinoa and dressing into the
vegetables, taking care to keep the grains fluffy
- Garnish with flat leaf parsley sprigs and serve.
- Non-iodized salt works well for this recipe.
- You may substitute 1 (14 ounce) can black beans,
drained and rinsed.
- The original recipe calls for cilantro, but Patel
prefers the flat leaf Italian parsley.
- The del Carmen black beans are nicely seasoned and
you may not need cumin. Taste and decide.
0 Out of 5 from
You can add this Quinoa and Black Bean Salad recipe to your own private DesktopCookbook.