To prepare cake-
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Coat two 9-in round cake pans with cooking spray with
flour; alternatively, coat the pans with regular cooking
spray, line them with parchment paper and spray the paper.
3. Whisk all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt in a
4. Beat 4 eggs and 2/3 cup sugar in a large bowl with an
electric mixer on med-high speed until pale yellow and
doubled in volume, 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Beat in vanilla and 1 teaspoon lime zest.
6. With a rubber spatula, gently fold almond (or canola) oil
into the egg mixture, using long, even strokes, until just
7. Add the flour mixture; gently stir until just
8. Divide the batter between the pans; spread to the
edges and gently rap the pans against the counter once
or twice to settle the batter.
9. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until
lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the
center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes.
10. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert the
layers onto the rack, remove the pans and parchment
paper, if using, and let cool completely, about 45
To prepare lime filling-
1. Whisk condensed milk, lime juice and 1 teaspoon lime
zest in a medium bowl until combined.
2. Refrigerate until thickened, at least 30 minutes or
To prepare meringue-
1. Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric
mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in 1/4
cup sugar in a slow, steady stream.
2. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
3. Position oven rack about 6 inches from the heat
source; preheat broiler.
4. Transfer one layer, bottom-side down, to a large
5. Spread the meringue on top of the cake,
creating decorative peaks and valleys in the
meringue with a rubber spatula.
6. Broil until lightly browned, watching carefully
to prevent burning, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
7. To assemble cake- Place the plain layer, top-
side down, on a serving plate; spread the lime
filling on top. Cover with the meringue-topped
0 Out of 5 from
You can add this Key Lime Meringue Cake recipe to your own private DesktopCookbook.