2 cups plain flour, plus a little extra for dusting
1 1/2 cup caster (superfine) sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup soured cream
Zest of 2 grapefruits, plus 3 tbsp of the juice
3 tbsp poppy seeds
For the icing-
4 oz caster (superfine)sugar)
1 oz butter
Zest of 1 grapefruit, plus 4 tbsp juice
1. Heat the oven to 340 F. Butter then flour a Bundt tin. Sift together the flour and the baking powder.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. add in the vanilla extract. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, alternating with flour – baking powder. Then add in the soured cream, grapefruit zest and juice, and the poppy seeds.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level it off.
4. Bake for 40-55 minutes, depending of the shape of your tin. A skewer poked in should come out clean. (I bake mine about for 47 minutes)
5. Remove from the oven and live in the tin to cool a little while you are making the icing.
Make the icing-
6. Gently heat the caster sugar, butter and grapefruit juice to melt the butter. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the hear and stir in the zest. Cool for about 10 minutes until thickened and syrupy.
7. Turn the warm cake out onto a wire rack and brush half the glaze over the cake. Spoon the rest over, little by little so it sinks in.
I like to eat it while still warm…and with butter.. yummy.
0 Out of 5 from
You can add this Grapefruit & Poppy Seed Bundt Cake recipe to your own private DesktopCookbook.