- Wash the cranberries.
- Stir all the ingredients together in a medium
saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally,
for 5-7 minutes or until the cranberries burst and
the sauce thickens.
- Allow to cool slightly and transfer to a bowl or
jar and allow to cool.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container and
serve warm, cold or at room temperature.
- Give this cranberry compote some natural spice by
adding a tablespoon of grated ginger to the mix.
- Warming spices like clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg
can be added to create a Fall layer of flavor.
- Add blackberries or raspberries to the mix to add
more levels of fresh berry flavor.
- Instead of orange juice, use the zest and juice of
one lemon to create an even more tart and fresh
- When cooking fruit and sugar, the mixture will
become very hot and bubbly. Make sure you are
protecting yourself as the mixture can cause serious
- Let the mixture cool before adding it to
containers to prevent the hot liquid from splashing
and causing injury.
- Always use a sanitized jar or container when
storing compote to prevent the spread of bacteria.