1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
2. Peel and finely slice the garlic and put it
into a medium pan on a medium heat with the
3. When the butter has melted, stir in the flour
for a minute to make a paste, then gradually add
the milk, whisking as you go, until lovely and
4. Add the broccoli (cut up first, if using fresh)
and simmer for around 20 minutes, or until the
broccoli is cooked through and starts to break
down, then mash or blitz with a stick blender
(adding an extra splash of milk to loosen, if
using fresh broccoli). Grate in half the Cheddar
and season to perfection.
5. Arrange the cauliflower in an appropriately
sized baking dish (cut into florets first, if
using fresh), pour over the broccoli white sauce
and grate over the remaining Cheddar.