• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans or three 8-inch round cake pans.
• Into a medium bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
• In a small bowl, mix food coloring and cocoa powder to form a paste; set aside.
• In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
• Making sure to scrape down the bowl occasionally, beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla and cocoa paste.
• Add one third of the flour mixture, beat well, then beat in half of the buttermilk. Beat in another third of flour mixture, then second half of buttermilk. Finally beat in the last third of the flour mixture, making sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
• Make sure you have cake pans buttered, floured, and nearby. In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda. Yes, it will fizz! Add it to the cake batter and stir well to combine. Working quickly, divide batter evenly between the cake pans and place them in a preheated 350º oven.
• Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check early, cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
• Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. To remove the cakes from the pan, place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, then gently lift the pan. Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting.
• Frost with buttercream or cream cheese frosting.
CAREFUL! Red food coloring will stain LOTS of things... Don't wear white!!
0 Out of 5 from
You can add this Red Velvet Cake (Waldorf Astoria Cake) recipe to your own private DesktopCookbook.